Saturday, February 25, 2012

#56 Roasted Egglpant and Spinach Muffuletta Sandwich

This is my Vegas road trip food. It started a few years ago when Michelle made it for the drive to Vegas for her bachelorette party. This sandwich was loved by everyone in the car- including the eggplant hater (Nicole) and the bell pepper hater (me). Now whenever I take a trip to Vegas, I have to make this for the drive. I make it the day before my drive because it has lots of steps and letting it sit overnight in the fridge makes it taste delish!

If you haven't sweat your eggplant before cooking it you really should. It's an extra step but it's worth it.
Eggplant slices sweating in a colander in the sink.

The Olive relish is the best part. I always make a little extra to eat with crackers or bread. It's made with kalamata and garlic stuffed green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, olive oil and spices.
ahhh! yummmm!!!


Eggplant on top of olive
spinach and bell pepper on top of eggplant
 After the eggplant is roasted and cooled enough to handle you start layering the goodies on a big halved sour round (with some of the inside scooped out, making a shallow bowl). Layer after layer of yumminess!
 Put the lid on and start smashing it down. As suggested, I use my big cast iron to press it. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and foil. I leave it in the fridge over night.

It's Huge...
...or is it?


Sean sliced it up before we hit the road to Vegas (We saw Elton John!! OMG!!). He re-wrapped each slice and put it in the cooler. We ate on the drive and again as a late night snack.
 This recipe is from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. This is a must have vegan cookbook!


No comments:

Post a Comment