Friday, February 3, 2012

#34 Kale Rice Bowl

The Ume Plum Vinegar is a necessity!
This is a go to meal for me when I'm tired and hungry. This rice bowl is so easy to make. It's fast and so yummy. I like to use arborio rice cooked in vegetable broth. This is the kind of rice that you use for making risotto. I cook it the same way I do regular rice I think it's a little more filling that plain white rice.

While the rice is on the stove, I cut and wash the kale. I tear the kale as I throw it into a sink full of water. This is the best way to clean your leafy greens. You'll see why when you pull the kale out and see the dirt on the bottom of your sink!

Pull out the kale and put it in a colander. Let the water drip off. Don't put it in a salad spinner you want it a little wet for later.  While the kale is in dripping, cut up a shallot (or a 1/2 onion and a glove of garlic), a tomato and an avocado. In a large pan saute the shallot in olive oil until it starts to lightly brown. Pour the kale on top of the shallot. Carefully stir it, mixing the shallot (or onion mixture) throughout. You'll hear it sizzling. Turn down the heat to low and cover. When the kale is shrunken down and softened but not mushy (5min or less) add the chopped tomato and stir. Put the lid back on and turn off the heat.

The rice should be done by now (20-30 min). Serve the rice in a bowl. Top with the kale mixture and chopped avocado. Drizzle some ume vinegar on top. Oh so yum!

I pushed back the topping to show you the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment