Saturday, January 28, 2012

#28 Enchiladas

This is the vegan version of the enchiladas I grew up eating. 
A dollop of sour cream and some sliced avocado are perfect on the side!
The first thing I do when making enchiladas is heat up the tortillas. I cook them directly over the open flame on my stove with the help of my trusty tongs. Heating them makes them soft and rollable. Uncooked tortillas tend to be dry and break apart when you try to roll them.

Pour enchilada sauce on the bottom of your baking dish. I'd say no more that a quarter inch deep. After cooking the tortillas, I dip them in enchilada sauce. I don't make my own. I usually use Las Palmas canned sauce (mild or medium).

I put the filling in next. Put the filling close to one side of the tortilla. I layered my fillings in this order : olives, green onion, Gardein strips (I sauteed 2 Gardein Scallopini and then cut them into strips), and topped it with cheddar and mozzarella style Daiya cheese.
Roll the tortilla, tucking in the filling as you roll. I do this all in the baking dish that I'm cooking it in. Continue rolling until you've filled the pan. Pour extra sauce on top with a little extra cheese. Cook at 350 for 10-20 minutes.

What they look like before going in the oven. 



No comments:

Post a Comment