Thursday, March 29, 2012

#89 Sandwiches and a Story

This isn't like our usual blog posts...but it is vegan and it is a meal! I made this in my classroom with Ninel, my fabulous former (as of last week) student teacher. We read my first graders, The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania of Jordan. It's a really great story about two BFFs who both secretly think each other's lunch looks disgusting. One eats a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday and the other eats a hummus sandwich everyday. The two girls end up fighting and causing a food fight at school.

The lesson learned by the end of the story is tolerance and to not make judgements on other people's food without trying it. The kids loved the story and I think they learned a valuable lesson. After the story they wrote about their favorite sandwich. While they were writing, I passed out 1/2 a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and a quarter piece of pita bread with hummus in the middle. It was fun to watch the kids try something new. Some kids had never had hummus before and surprisingly a few hadn't ever eaten a PB&J sandwich.

If you're a teacher, know a teacher or have your own kiddos, this is a fun activity!


1 comment: