Saturday, March 17, 2012

#77 Corned Beef Sausage & Colcannon


Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!

Thanks for the beer and green soda Sean and Lynz!
For tonight's feast I made Corned Beef Sausages.  I doubled Vegan Dad's recipe but instead of one big loaf, I separated it into 8 individual sausages.  Best. Idea. Ever.  After they were done steaming, Lynzie sliced them and we browned them in some olive oil.  YUM
The colcannon was amazing.  The recipe is from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Color Me Vegan.  Yes, I doubled it.  Lynzie is obsessed with potatoes and we are both freaks for kale.  I wanted to make sure there was plenty of leftovers.  I make colcannon every year and this was my favorite version so far.
The Irish Soda Bread was also one of Colleen's recipes.  This one came from her book The Joy of Vegan Baking.  I added currants that I had soaked in hot water and Bushmills Whiskey to plump them up and add flavor.  It turned out so moist and flavorful.  We all loved it.


For dessert, I made Irish Whiskey Cake.  I got the recipe from Peta's website.  I only had a couple of bites because I was so stuffed from dinner and all the beer that The Roaches brought over.  It was really tender and flavorful but I would reduce the salt a bit next time.


This was the first special occasion meal I've made for guests at the new house and it went rather smoothly.  I do have a kitchen full of dishes but that is the norm for me.  I'm excited that I have leftovers and have discovered some great new recipes.  A note for my future self: If you are doubling the corned beef recipe, don't double the salt (the regular salt, not the seasoned), and reduce the salt in the cake.

I hope you all had a fun, festive day!





No comments:

Post a Comment