Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#66 Chickpea Tuna Melt

This was SUPER yummy!!



This recipe is from Vegan Junk Food. I had to buy it for myself after I saw that mushroom stroganoff (which I made last night)!

The sandwich was really easy to make. Chickpeas are wonderful. As suggested in the book, I used granulated seaweed to give it a seafood flavor. I had dulse flakes in my pantry so that's what I used. The flavor was mild but definitely good. I spread the "tuna" on both halves of the bread and sprinkled it with Daiya cheddar. I broiled it until the cheese was melted. Then I spread a little Earth Balance on both sides and browned it on my cast iron skillet. Sean and I both really liked this.

When I made my meal plan for the week, I knew I was going to make this sandwich and wanted to make a side that was a little different than usual. I thought potato salad was the perfect answer. But as I was making this, I realized that the sandwich and the potato salad had essentially the same exact ingredients (vegenaise, celery and red onions). I decided not to care and did it anyways. It was good but- I won't be making these two together again. 

The sandwich halves before I put them in the broiler.




No comments:

Post a Comment