Thursday, March 1, 2012

#61 Chile Relleño Casserole

This was another recipe from Vegan Junk Food. I was super excited for this one. I loved my Mom's version in my Pre-Vegan days. Unfortunately, this one was not a winner like the stroganoff was.

The stuffed chilies were yum, but the batter surrounding them was odd. It had a funky flavor and a gummy, pasty texture. Nobody liked it. You're supposed to blend the flour based batter for a minute. I feel like this messed the texture up. I did add tomato sauce to the top a few minutes before it was done baking. That's how my Mom's was and I don't think it affected the outcome. It probably helped out actually.

I served mine with corn tortillas, spanish rice, vegetarian refried beans, sliced avocado, and some of the sour cream leftover from the oh so yummy stroganoff recipe. (that one's double worthy!). Ryan and the kids had theirs in burrito form.

I'm not going to give up! I think a tofu based, maybe quiche filling would be better for the batter. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment