Friday, May 4, 2012

#125 Pressed Salad and Filet-O-Fish

Radicchio, Radish and Fennel Pressed Salad (Pre-Pressed)
I learned a valuable lesson when I finished this meal. . . The moral of the story will present itself as you read on. I'm going to start with the Pressed Salad. The recipe came from Alicia Silverstone's, The Kind Diet. I love everything about this salad. I love the process, the crunchiness and the slight saltiness of it. As you can see from the picture, there are so many yummy, crunchy vegetables. You press it by massaging in salt and then placing something heavy on top. All this water exudes from the veggies. After an hour or so, I poured out the water and rinsed the veggies. I ended up rinsing it 3 times until it had the right level of saltiness. Mmmm! I LOVE this salad!!!

I bought some Breaded Vegan Fish Fillets from Whole Foods. I didn't know what I was going to do with them right away. The only thing that came to mind was McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. I've never eaten one before...but I've heard that people LOVE them and get all excited when McDonald's starts selling them. So I googled "Filet-O-Fish" when I was at the store. I quickly read what was in it and bought some buns and tofutti cheese squares. I cooked the fillets and made some tartar sauce. When the fillets were done, I toasted the buns in the oven and put a slice of cheese on one side to melt. When I assembled the sandwich I put the tartar sauce on one side and put the fillet on the other cheesy half. . . ummmmmm. . . BLECH!!!!!!!! SOOOOOO gross! I don't know what it was- but it was gnarly. I remembered why I never buy those tofutti cheese squares. The bun ended up weird and soggy. I ended up taking off the bottom and eating it open faced without the cheese. The fillet itself was pretty good. I veganized Ina Garten's tartar sauce and it was pretty amazing... but that was where the good ended. Oh well... I learned my lesson.

 

Did you catch the moral of the story? 
Don't bother EVER trying to veganize something from McDonald's. GA-ROSSSSS! 


No comments:

Post a Comment