Monday, January 16, 2012

#16 Camping Food

I went camping this weekend with a fun group of friends. I cooked dinner ahead of time so we would only have to reheat. I made Tempeh Sloppy Joes from The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. This is one of my favorites from the cookbook. It's always a hit- even my meat eating friends like it! I followed her suggestion and added white beans to bulk it up and make it a little heartier. It was delicious as always.

Before I gave up dairy I was a huge fan of KFC cole slaw. After trying a couple recipes this one is my favorite! It's sweet, crunchy and tastes good for days! I found the recipe on food.com and adjusted it to make it vegan. It's always a crowd pleaser!

  • 4 1/2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
  • 6 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 1/2 cups Veganaise
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 heads cabbage

    Directions:

    1. Mix oil, onions and sugar.
    2. Add tarragon vinegar.
    3. Fold in Vegenaise.
    4. Pour over grated carrots and cabbage.
    5. Fold in well.
    6. Refrigerate in an air-tight covered dish.

    Mmmm!
    After cooking, I put the sloppy joe filling in a jar and heated it up when we were ready for dinner. I topped each with some pickle and served it with the cole slaw (which stayed well in the cooler).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment