Sunday, January 15, 2012

#15 Red Chile- Seitan Tamales




So Delicious!!!


Please go buy Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero. Right now! These tamales are so delicious and not as intimidating as you think. If you just take it one step at a time and space it out over a few days, the final step isn't that bad.




I start by making the steamed red seitan. I always make a double batch of this because it's hardly any more work and it's so nice to have it on hand. I really like what freezing does to the texture so it's perfect!


Dried Ancho and Guajillo Chilies
The next day I worked on the red chile sauce. Again, I make a double batch. I find roasting the whole dry chilis to be tedious but the flavor is so worth it.










All set up!
The Filling



The final day I soak the husks while I bring the sauce and seitan together with onion and bell pepper to create the tamale filling. Then I make the masa. I set up a table in my living room, put on a movie, and settle in for an hour or so.



.









By now, people usually start pestering me about when they'll get to eat tamales.  Almost there!  They take about an hour to steam. Since I doubled the recipe, I steam them in 2 batches. It's nice to have enough to let people eat their hearts out and know that you still have a whole batch steaming to eat throughout the week, freeze for later, and share with friends
It's a fun project for a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment